Exotics Hunting

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by UPTTiger, May 20, 2009.

1. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

Has anyone done any exotics hunting before in Texas? I went this past weekend and it was amazing. I was just outside of Rock Springs, TX. The land is amazing and there are so many different animals. We set up everything over the last few months and the game cameras showed a lot of activity. I killed what was thought to be the big boy on the property, a 200+lb Axis with upper 20s" horns. While he was a beautiful deer, the new game camera pics showed he has a lot of big brothers approaching throphy caliber. On a different hunt, I was in a stand that was on top a ridge that overlooked a creek and the opposite ridge. There were loads of whitetail, Axis, and awadad(sp?) sheep. I'll be heading back out there tomorrow for a long weekend.

I'll post the pics when I get them tonight.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Man, that's awesome. Sounds kinda expensive. Let us know how it goes!:thumb:

3. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I use to spend every Thanksgiving at a game ranch in that area.

Welcome to the JNRANCH

My friend and I would ride around and take pictures of the animals... Buffalo, Zebra, etc.

4. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

That place is awesome looking! It is definetly in the same area. I'll look for it this weekend. We are about 10 minutes south of RS on a old ranch like that one that was subdivided into (much) smaller plots. There aren't any high fences or as wide of a range of spieces, but the breeding population of the free range exotics seem to be doing pretty well.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Did you ever hunt at the ranch?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My retired cousin who RV's in South Texas in the winter hunts at one of those exotic ranches. He shot a huge Nilgai last winter and brought me some meat. But most of those hunters are just after trophy mounts. It is damned expensive.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

While at my cousin's in New Mexico we had Oryx ribeyes and Oryx/Elk sausage. Excellent. He killed the Oryx in southern NM.

8. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Negative. I don't hunt. My friend and I just drove around in the bronco or 4 wheelers and took pictures.