Dean got a raw deal.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by M.O.M, Jan 26, 2004.

1. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I hope he comes back and wins New Hampshire.
    While I disagree with Governor Dean on social policies, I think he's right on with alot of his economic positions.
    We do need to completely revisit the Bush Tax Cuts.
    Whether its a complete repeal or cutting around the edges.
    But the focus should be on small businesses and the middle class.
    The wealthiest Americans and the biggest businesses are the winners by far in that round of tax cuts.
    And all this talk about trickling down is false.
    What it enables the richest to do is invest even more in non-productive enterprises, paper deals, rather than enterprises that truly help the middle class.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

if you think the rich dont pay their share, or the tax cuts made an unfair situation, then you just dont know the facts and should research it. find out the facts on what % of our expenses the rich pay.

go ahead, do some research. you simply dont know what you are talking about.

3. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Oh the poor rich are overtaxed song.
    That one has been in the Top 10 for sometime now.
    The poor rich. Its getting to the point they just can't get good help these days. People are even being so crass as to attack their affinity for offshore locales to conduct business.
    And the greedy poor. How dare them want medical care and decent wages. Don't they realize how disposable they are? There are millions and millions of Asians and Latinos dying, literally, to make the products that the rich so generously offer the working poor.
    I know, its the rich who invest their windfalls to make this economy purr. A shame we don't all live in the Caymans to catch some of this windfall.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didnt see any facts in that post. the rich pay the vast majority of the expense. if you would research it, you would see.

what % of the taxes do you think it woiuld be fair for the top 25% to pay? 80%?

if you research it, you may find that they already pay more than that.

it really breaks my heart that the poorer half of americans have to cover 5% of our nations expenses. the rich are really taking advantage.

please research it.

5. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I had no idea the rich were hurting in America. The Top 25% that is.
    I guess I was blinded by the lies about the other 75% who are concerned with health care, job security and retirement security.
    Here I was worried about those issues, and its those poor rich folks who are struggling!
    I definitely need to study some charts to try to match that with the reality of life. I'd hate to find out that the Gates', Walton offspring, Rockefellers', Kennedy's and Bush's are on the verge of having a generation forced into the hell of 9-5.

6. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

He's talking to you about the issues but you keep running your trap about rich folks...

Just go research it already and give this bleeding heart martyr act a rest.

7. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Reseach what?
    Find a chart somewhere that shows what the rich pay in some generic definition of taxes?
    Does such a chart exist that shows what the top 1%, 5%, 10%, 25%, etc. pay in all taxes and fees?
    I've seen these generic charts that purport to show the rich pay a heavy share of federal income tax. Such charts are very misleading.
    Given that there are a multitude of taxes and fees that come out of paychecks or are attached to necessities other than federal income tax, such charts don't tell the true story. That's where the middle class gets hit.
    But if the rich are teetering on the verge of working for a living, I'm certainly sympathetic.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's CottonBowl without the name-calling. You claimed that the tax cuts only help the rich and implied that the rich are not paying their fair share while the poor are burdened with need and a tax burden. Martin simply challenged you to back up your claims with facts. If you cannot then shut up.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

right, if you arent going to believe facts published by the IRS about what they have collected, i understand you have no intention of being rational.

keep claiming what you claim, but recognize that are people who will always know you are either ignorant or dishonest.

10. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I didn't say the tax cuts only help the rich.
    Up to you or anyone else to guess what I implied.
    Here is what I posted.
    "The wealthiest Americans and the biggest businesses are the winners by far in that round of tax cuts"
    Note no mention of the word only and nothing implied, just stating a fact.
    The richest people in America are not suffering. I don't begrudge you if you are one of them. Don't begrudge you for aspiring to be amongst that top 1% or 5% or 10% if you aren't yet.
    But not for a second am I going to bemoan that the richest percentile may be asked to pay a bit more in taxes.
    They certainly benefit the most from our current War in Iraq with their stock holdings and I certainly don't anticipate its their sons and daughters over their fighting in Iraq. That would be the sons and daughters of the poor people who are getting the free ride on the backs of the rich by your estimation.
    Note, I'm not taking an adverse position on the War in Iraq, I just don't buy into the woe is me argument made on the behalf of the wealthiest Americans.
    This idea that these wealthy Americans are pouring their riches into jobs and manufacturing jobs in America are belied by the reality of the situation.