Confederate flag shadows SEC tournament (Article)

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

Rest of the Article: http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/3430398

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Nothing wrong with the Rebel flag, if those liberal suck bags dont understand that its heritage not hate screw them. Its not our fault a bunch of hillbilly rednecks in the Klan use the symbol in the wrong way. But they also use the Crucifix, so should we ban that as well ???

Nothing wrong with the stars and bars. If some pinko fails to read a history book thats their problem.

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

:thumb:

4. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Why is the tournament in freaking Greenville in the first place?

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

That flag is not even the actual National Flag of the Confederate States of America.

6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Exactly it was simply a battle flag. However, it was the one picked up by everyone and has since become synonomous with the CSA and the Civil War. Here is the actual national flag of the CSA: [​IMG]

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

The reason why African-Americans are offended by that flag is because during the 1950s and early 1960s, our own fellow white Southern citizens foolishly, stupidly and vindictively used that flag to demonstrate their opposition to the Civil Rights Movement. There is no way in Hell that Robert E. Lee would have agreed to that kind of misuse the Confederate Battle flag.

Before that stupid misuse of that flag, it stood as symbol of honor to the fallen soldiers who gave their lives for their young new republic: The Confederate States of America. When thoughtless white Southerners took that flag and used it as a symbol of opposition to the Civil Rights Movement, they FOREVER changed the meaning of that flag/symbol. Some things that are broken cannot be mended, and once the battle flag was misused, it's true meaning will never be restored.

PS I believe that R. E. Lee would have supported the Civil Rights Movement.

8. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

That flag was actually very rarely used. It was adopted in 1865 near the end of the war. It never caught on.

This was the flag that was used the longest as the Official National Flag.

[​IMG]

This flag eventually gave way to the "Battle Flag" and the other 2 national flags because this was deamed too close to the flag of the Union.

9. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I agree with your post, but for the record the Klan uses a cross, not a crucifix. The crucifix shows Jesus' body hanging on the cross, and is used almost exclusively by the catholic church. the Klan is, to my knowledge, anti Catholic as well.

as for the flag....Texas flies a different version of the confederate flag...the one in Aubie's post above.

people will always link the stars and bars of the confederate flag with racism, but the Civil War was about a lot more then just slavery, and people tend to forget that.

10. Carface

Carface What the...?

Right. Slavery wasn't the driving force of the Civil War, it was mostly a matter of principal. The South didn't like being pushed around so... it left. Abolition of slavery was a consequence.

Abolition had to happen eventually.