College Baseball Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Husker Ed, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Husker Ed

Husker Ed Founding Member

I would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the new uniform start date of Feb 22, and no practice prior to Feb 1. Obviously up north we love the idea! Do you think this will help level the playing field at all?

For Nebraska, I don't think the new rule really helps that much. We have an indoor facility and I think playing on the road for the first month actually helps build team unity. For other schools that don't have our facilities, I can see how it will help.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i think it sux.

its still gonna be cold up north even with the feb 22 start date, and those teams are still gonna come south for the first games as much as possible.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Hadn't seen that but I'd be willing to bet it says something along the lines of no "Formal" or "Organized" practices. The "Practice" thing is important in developing chemisty but at that level, those kids pitch, hit, workout year-round.

To answer your question, no, I don't think it will amount to much in the end. College coaches will have plenty of time to get in what needs to be done and the kids don't show up on the "First day" all out of shape, like what's more common with high school athletes .

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

what the later start date means is more mid week games. and not taking mid week further into the year.

teams now have had to schedule two mid week games each week. whether it be tues/wed games or tue/thur games. and it will still spill over from the non-conf schedule into the conf schedule.

i am not sure how that is gonna effect fatigue, injuries, the fact that these are STUDENT atheletes.....

i still say it sux.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

I agree okie, but I am also a fan of what is done is done! So as long as the south keeps kicking butt theycant say nothing!

And I don't think ed minds anyway! Omaha LOVES when the tigers come to play!

6. Husker Ed

Husker Ed Founding Member

I can't speak for ALL Omahans, but the majority do love when LSU makes the CWS, including me. My offer still stands OT -- steak at my house the night before the first game LSU plays in the CWS this year. Bring your family... and the beer!

7. tigerhoss

tigerhoss Founding Member

I agree with the new rule.

I always favor an equalized plying field where everybody agrees on a set of rules, good or bad, and then plays the game within those rules or drops out. i.e. I'll stick with USC won one national title and lost the title to Texas when they were "the greatest team in the history of college football," while LSU has two titles under the agreed-upon rules. Sorry USC, you ain't got two crystals you ain't got two titles.

This format shows what hypocrites the NCAA is, though, because if the baseball teams can all be squeezed so they have tow mid-week games, there is NO WAY a football playoff system would take students out of the classroom too often, especially since there is that whole 3-4 week Christmas break, the post season all-star games and award dinners for selected athletes, etc.

Competitively I don't think it will have much of a long term effect until the northern teams recruit more Southern and West Coast baseball players who have spent their whole athletic lives in nearly year-round ball.

8. orlandotiger

And I told you, ask okie my family and I aren't shy! We will bring the beer and the red beans! (Your wifes favorite!)

Can't wait!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Dang it you got me all excited!

9. orlandotiger

Also I keep meeting people from omaha in my travels and the first thing they tell me is "we love when lsu plays in the cws! You guys are a blast and spend a ton of money!"

I think somebody (maybe the dude?) Said something about there being more of a cajun flair to the menu at rosenblatt now! I love that story!

10. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

On the original question - the new uniform start date and no practice before Feb. 1, I really don't think it will be that big of a deal in the performance of the teams. However, I don't like multiple mid week games. With two games in mid week and a three game weekend series that is 5 games a week and I think that is too much even if it is only for a few weeks. I am afraid that ultimately they are going to either have go deeper into the summer months or reduce the overall number of regular season games.
    :eek:ldskule: