Cast Iron Pot

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Frogleg, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I'm searching for a traditional 'Louisiana' Cast Iron Pot, preferably pre-seasoned (You know, the kind you make Jambalaya's, Etoufee's, and barbeque beans on the fire with). I thought that they would be easy to find, but no luck so far.

I live in Houma, LA.

p.s. Can our Cast Iron Pots be called 'Dutch Ovens'?

p.s.s. Advice on seasoning the pot.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

3. BamaBengalTiger

BamaBengalTiger Geaux Tigers !!!!!

:insane:pre-seasoned. Now that is insane. You have to season it yourself, to establish your own special flavor. JK

4. Andouille

Andouille Guest

Goodwood hardware in Baton Rouge has a large selection.

To season, rub every square inch of the surface with veg oil or shortening and place in the oven at 450 deg for several hours till slick and black. Do it several time over the course of the year and periodically and it will develop a slick black coating.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Don't use soap to wash them. Brush and water thats all. Unless you want your food to taste like soap.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's best to inherit one with about 100 years worth of cooking done on them. Those are the best. I currently don't have one, as my uncle inherited my grandfather's cast-iron pots.

My mom has a cast-iron skillet that I would love to have, even though it only has about 40 years of pre-seasoning in it, but I'd rather have my mom than the skillet.

One of my uncles inherited a huge iron pot that has been in his wife's family for three generations. Makes a REALLY good jambalaya.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

when my elderly neighbors moved to a retirement facility, they had an estate sale and sold off almost all household good and furniture. i noticed they had a ton of black cast iron stuff. i should have just bought it all as soon as i saw it. i am sure they had it a few decades as it was all nicely seasoned. unfortunately, i decided to think about it and when i went back, only 4-5 pieces were left. i missed out on some really nice (several of them large) pieces.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I could not live w/o my cast iron pots. I have a 3 gal, 5 gal, 10 gal, and 2 20 gal jambalaya pots and a half dozen every day cast iron pots and skillets. It's always fun to see the reactions of ppl here who haven't seen me cooking in the 2 20's at the same time for large gatherings I cook for. They are amazed that pots can be "that big". Guess they would really freak out with the 38 gal jambalaya pots I saw while I was still in BR.