Carry on luggage

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jun 3, 2008.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So I'm on a plane at 5am. I'm sitting in my favorite seat on Southwest, the front row aisle starboard (thats right for you non military folk) and this jacka$$ gets on the plane carrying a bag that should have been checked. You all know the ones and if you are one of these people, well, you shouldn't be. A suitcase should be checked. Anyway, he shoves this thing in the very first overhead bin and then walks happily to the back of the plane. I'm trying really hard to not be the person that 6 months ago would have relocated the bag for him in a non polite fasion so I just shook my head. What a jerk.

1 person likes this.
  2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

well, theres your first problem! :eek:

but i do know what you are talking about. i am usually the person right behind that person. and having to stand there, and stand there, and stand there, while they fight for 5 minutes trying to get it crammed into the overhead bin. :cuss:

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

As a fellow frequent flier (normally 2-3 times a month), I hear ya! I always have my laptop bag and often either a projector or product demonstrator unit that I have to carry on, and I hate those people who think they are so smart because they don't ever check any piece of luggage. They fill up the stupid bins and then I have no place to put my stuff. In the last 3 years with my current job, I have flown at least 75 times, and my checked bag got lost ONCE. I had it back in my possession by 9pm that night. People, check your stupid bags!:po:

Rant over.:)

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i thought this was a thread about how airlines will be charging to check bags.

expect to see more of oversized bags in the cabin.

im looking into mailing my stuff ahead when i fly in a few weeks.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It ain't the people who are at fault, it's the airlines. They won't even enforce their own rules about carry-ons, especially to anyone with a member card. Anything to keep a frequent flyer. Since deregulation, people can just shop for the lowest fare. Airlines don't have to attract you by providing better service, they have to give you FF miles, low fares, and kiss your ass.

Two thing ought to happen:

1. Everyone should be allowed one carry-on plus a coat, purse or hat. Nothing bigger than a knapsack or a computer case. Boarding would be easier and there would be plenty of room, even for some special exception items.

2. Checked luggage needs to be expedited at big airports, so that people don't lose luggage in transfers.

As long as the airlines allow it, people will be selfish about their luggage.

6. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

The thing is, it isn't even the airlines' rules regarding carry-ons, it's the FAA. And you're right, they simply won't enforce them, but I guess I feel that people should at least occasionally employ common sense and consider how the whole flying experience can be improved for everyone. I realize that's too much to ask these days. The fact that the airlines are cutting down on flights so that a mid-week plane to Milwaukee is completely full doesn't help, either.

I haven't had to fly since American started charging $15 for the first checked bag, but I know that it's really going to suck! At DFW, security lines will be a nightmare when people remember that the items they used to check in their luggage won't be allowed in carry on bags.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

most times, my purse is considered the second piece of carry on. its not a tiny purse, but its not one of those huge carry the kitchen sink things either.

i i travel with one small rolling bag and my purse. thats it. if it wont fit in that when i fly, it doesnt go with me.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I haven't, either. I'm hating AA's guts over that move, however, because I'm someone who doesn't mind checking bags, especially when I'm trying to keep up with two little kids in the airport. But I WILL mind paying $15.

1 person likes this.
  9. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Ok, so just got on my plane for atlanta. I sit in first class when flying in and out of orlando because I don't want to deal with a bunch of kids either coming back from or going to disney.

So I sit in my seat today and this lady and her two kids get on and thet one kid and the lady sit across from me and then f'ing 10 year old sits next to me!

He is already spazzing out about being in first class and I will tell you now if you live in my planes flight path beware of flying 10 year olds in the next hour or so, cuz this kid is going to die. I am also tempted to tell his mom something also.

Anybody that knows me knows I love kids but this is my quite time! I love the quiet of flying and this kid is going to f it up and I already know it!

Rant over

See yall in a few...

2 people like this.
  10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Oh and sorry for the hijack shane...needed to get it out and this looked like as good as I could get with a time constraint! :D