Canoe redfishing!!

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Fishhead, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

My brother and I took my canoe to the same area I went last week in my kayak. He's too cheap to get his own kayak, so we had to take the two man rig. The guy at the launch (Crazy Mike...king of all mullets) looked at me funny again this week, and said "Didn't you come here last week in a kayak"? I said "That was my flats boat...this is my bayboat".:grin:
    -
    Anyway...it was easy to tell right away that it wasn't going to be as good as last week. The wind was honkin' out of the north at a pretty good clip. I thought it was just outflow from a t-storm that was a little NE of where we were...but it never slowed all day...and made it tough to navigate. Also, there was no chance of sightfishing...as the chop made it nearly impossible to see anything in the wadda.
    -
    That said, we still caught some fish. Last week, I didn't bring a net or anything...and lost a couple of fish at boatside while unhooking them. This week...I brought a net...and didn't have THAT problem. Also, in the canoe, I had room for a large icechest...so I just threw the ones I wanted to keep in there. HOWEVER, I did have one ESCAPE! I caught a nice little griller...about 20"...and put him on ice. We already had a few in the box...and a couple of bags of ice...so he was right on top. We paddled a little bit and he started thumping the top of the box. Next thing I know, the little sucker has the lid open and comes flying out! He lands in the bottom on the canoe, and as I reach to pick him up...he does a Carl Edwards right out of the canoe and into the water...GONE! I figured he earned his freedom, and just laughed it off.:lol:
    -
    Here's some pics and a little video. I didn't get to video nearly as much as I wanted to...just too hard to keep the boat positioned. Hope you enjoy.:thumb:
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Awesome! That's the kind of stuff I've been waiting to see! It's been about 4 years since I've had the chance to go. Looks like ya'll had a great time. I'm jealous. Thanks for sharing Fishhead!

For an encore are you just gonna go out on a surfboard? :hihi:

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Boogie board and swimmies...

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you're an ******* dude.

nice freaking fish.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Is that a tiepoe or did you miss spell that werd?
    -
    And FWIW, I spent 10 1/2 months working in Dallas...came home for 8 days (went fishing once in the 8 days)...then was sentenced...er...deployed to Oklahoma for 3 months. Got back less than 3 weeks ago...you damn right I'm fishing SEVERAL times before I leave again. (which I just found out yesterday...will be 9/14 to Dallas again :bncry:)

1 person likes this.
  6. KyleK

Welcome back to freshwater hell.

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Two words...Texoma Stripers. They ain't redfish...but it's better than nothing.

8. KyleK

I've got a buddy who has a 37' cruiser he keeps on Texoma. He's asked me repeatedly to go. Sleep on the big one, has a bateau for fishing stripers. I just have never been able to go. Kids sports or family stuff seems to always be in the way. Maybe one day.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

What is that that y'all was throwin?

[​IMG]

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Use to go up each spring during the spawn with my Dad. Great fun. During the summer just chased jugs over the river and caught some nice catfish.