Cane's Sauce

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by cajunchilipeper, Nov 18, 2008.

1. cajunchilipeper

cajunchilipeper V-I-C-T-O-R-Y FOR L-S-U

Alright I just thought about it while reading another thread on here.... has anyone attempted to make the sauce.... and if so how close were u... what did you use...

when I tried I used
    a little bit of crab boil
    ketchup
    Mayo
    little salt...

came close but didnt taste the same... how bout everyone else... any takers... if we find the recipe some of us may be able to keep away from canes.... Cajunpunk.... lol

2. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I just responded to a post of yours in my original thread dealing with this same topic. ;)

3. cajunchilipeper

yea not a big tigerdropping fan either..... I am going to attempt it tomorrow.... lol may save you from that cursed place.... although I would love to own a franchise of one though.... the one down here in Metairie on Vets is always packed.... heard in first 4 months it grossed around 3 mil before taxes, employee pay and all that good stuff.... at 1 in the am.... after drinking it aint Taco Bell.... its Cane's for me.... least I know it doesnt have roach eggs in the meat.. lol

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Canes could be the next Sonic or something. If you could get in on the franchising, it would be smart. You could cut the box down to one tender, raise the price and people would still pay for it.

I'd imagine it's pretty hard getting rights to a franchise, since there's probably already a monopoly. I remember back in California, there were only 2 Popeyes at one point in the area we lived in, and they were always packed. My dad looked into opening up another Popeyes and found out that there was one guy who owned like an entire zone of the franchise (nearly the whole city or something) that only he could open restaurants in.

5. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

You have to work there before you can have the opportunity to be a franchise owner. You work, manage, and then if you wanted to open one up you could if you could get the financing to do so. They are very protective and don't want someone who has never been a part of the "team" to be an owner.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Maybe its the ones I go to but I've found that the quality of Sonic's food has gone down to the point that I won't eat food there. Deserts and other "treats" are good but the food stinks. Haven't been to Taco Hell in years. Thanks for the recipe, I will try it.

7. cajunchilipeper

It is pretty to open one up... all you have to do is work there and they are not to expensive... but I would imagine there is a waiting list....

8. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I normally make my sauce for crawfish boils to dip potatoes, sausage and the crawfish in. The bad thing is I never make the same amount. I just eyeball it normally since I am always fixing for a different amount of people. Anyway, if any of you mad scientists feel like testing it out, this is what I use.

3/4 cup Mayonnaise (1-to-1 with ketchup)
    3/4 cup Ketchup (1-to-1 with mayo)
    4 Tblsp. Worcestershire
    Tony's (to taste)
    Louisiana Hot Sauce (to taste)
    1 tsp Horseradish (to start)
    Garlic Salt (to taste)

These are about the portions I would use if I was gonna make a batch about the size of your typical soup bowl. Like I said, this is something that I really hone in to my personal taste and is therefore very inexact. My mom taught me how to make this stuff when I was a kid and I have made it for pretty much every crawfish boil for the last 10ish years, so it has changed a lot. One thing I have learned, is that the type of hot sauce that you use (if any) really impacts how its tastes probably more than anything else. If you use Tabasco the sauce is probably going to be really sour. You can base the ratio of ketchup to mayo on the color of Cane's sauce (if it's too red, add mayo, and vise versa). Be careful with the horseradish, it's that ingredient that bites the back of your throat but that mess is strong and if you put too much in it will RUIN your sauce. I sometimes will add other random stuff to experiment. Think outside the box and just play with it until it tastes amazing.

Also, DO NOT desecrate this recipe by using miracle whip. I will kill you. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It isn't mayonnaise, therefore it would be violating the ingredient list. I have already banned that tripe from my house.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sonic is a burger place and their burgers are still good. It's all the new specialty sandwiches and "wraps" that suck. Breakfast really sucks. Our local Sonic just seems to have a "staff" infection. The cooks and carhops have to actually give a damn.

But it's still the best fast-food burger. Just forget the chicken club sandwich and fried cheddar peppers.