Campus diversity?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jetstorm, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/fields.htm

I must be incredibly stupid. I thought part of going to college was interacting with different cultures and all sides of the political spectrum having a lively discussion about these things. Not so on most of America's campuses. If I had gone to Cornell or Stanford, I would have never had the pleasure of having a black roommate or a Hispanic RA who I now count as loyal friends. If you boys think I'm a hard-core right-winger now, you should have met me before I got into all this mushy "multi-culti" crap.

The Balkanization of America continues. Soon we'll be shooting and raping and "ethnically cleansing" each other with impunity.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Even at LSU I don't see much of a black population. Compared to the portion of the population they represent in LA they aren't represented in the population at LSU. I think that many people go to a school where they feel the most comfortable and for many black they feel more comfortable at Southern or Grambling.

If they were to try these "theme" houses here in the South, people would cry racist in a heart beat. It seems these "themed" houses are a step backwards. While it's true people typically feel more "safe" around people that are similar to them, we need to live together if we want to see each other as equals. If we segregate ourselves then stereotypes will develop and we will basically undo the whole civil rights movement.

3. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Founding Member

Why do racists oppose segregated schools?

Young negroes have a right to be in the Top 10% of their class or even at the top of the class. How in the hell are they going to accomplish that at integrated schools? And then those damn Vietnamese, they infiltrate the public schools of New Orleans and ruin opportunities for young negroes in NO.
    Ms. Fields should stop worrying about these special centers or houses and focus on "diversity (tuition) waivers". She might find something actually of interest to working class white, hispanic and asian families.