CA Supreme Court Upholds Prop 8

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tigerbnd05, May 26, 2009.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I'm surprised nobody has said anything yet.

Thoughts?

Mine is that based solely on the legal arguments presented, they made the right decision. I think they were able to seperate the issue at hand and actually rule on the arguments presented.

Anyway here is the link California high court upholds same-sex marriage ban - CNN.com

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

My being against gay marriage has absolutely nothing to do with "rights" and "arguments". I'd lose in a court of law, definitely.

3. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

I think that when we do finally have Federal recognition of gay marriage benefits and protections, the people who opposed it will finally realize that their lives are not negatively effected in any way whatsoever.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think that supporters of gay marraige should realize that current marraige laws do not deny any person's rights.

5. Nathan

Nathan Freshman

I really am not the one to rant on the internet but I felt like I had to say something about the prop 8 getting ruled in today. As a young boy with my older sister coming out to the family, I never really understood the actual impact of her words till quite a few years later. Needless to say my parents are just about the most understanding and supporting parents there ever has been, we went about our lives like nothing had changed at all. Frankly I have always been a loving brother and never saw my sister in other way after she came out. The fact that she was dating girls now didn't change my perception of her. She has been always been kind and though annoying for the most part of my life...a loving sister above all. When she called home to tell us about her plans of asking her girlfriend for her hand in marriage, we were all delighted for her. They are perfect for each other. Yet as I turned on the television today to hear my early morning fix of news my sense of justice was horribly battered and beaten down. Prop 8 has been passed and it was only a matter of time before I heard the phone ring knowing instantly that it was my sister on the other end. As I listened to her I felt the anger rise within me finding it so unfathomable to think that society is still making such a mountain out of a mole hill. First of all I never understand how anyone's personal/private matters are of such importance to other people that they feel compelled to lash out at people who are different compared to the acceptable norms. Who you have a relationship with and what you do with them is really none of others business. I find it almost amusing now that I dreamt of studying in United States for they have the best universities throughout the world and yet there seems to be so much hate and lack of understanding amongst its citizens. The country with the best education has the biggest imbeciles around. Cruel, senseless...they seem to be living in the false sense of moral superiority by creating a god based completely on their own point of views. Quoting directly from a Ms McPherson who was among the people celebrating the inevitable win of prop 8 "God didn't create the family that way; you can't have a family with a mother and a mother, because [children] need a mother and a father to nurture their personality and their character." I found her comments stupefying and she just oozed off prudence to me. How many single mothers are taking care of their kids whose respective father are unfortunately the most selfish and self-centred of all the people. The numbers are simply staggering to say. Yet a majority of those children do not turn out to be psychopaths or dysfunctional. The country with the best universities unfortunately is also the country with people who are the most cowardly seemingly so afraid of change. Afraid to take responsibilities for their actions and deal with the consequences of those actions. So they live their whole lives according to a book as the eternal guide. Justifying horrible acts of injustice and violence with it, limiting themselves to a life that will never really lived to the full extent for their whole lives are based on a fictional book with the biggest bunch of gibberish I have ever had the unfortunate chance of hearing in my short life so far. I feel anger but most of all pity for these people...these scared cowardly people. Too scared to open their minds and deal with the reason issues that we face such as destruction of earth and a globally failure to bring about a change in consciousness. Change is eternal to nature and those who cannot change perish, it’s the rule of evolution!

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If gay folks in a documented relationship were to have the same civil rights as heterosexual folks in a marriage, I'd be ok with that. I just don't think it should be called marriage, and even more so, I don't think it should require churches to participate.

I think two gay parents can do a better job of raising kids than one working mother or the state.

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Im not fundamentally opposed to some partnered rights but the union of man and women is sanctified as marriage. If same sex couples want to equally benefit from dual rights normally associated with married couples they need to find another way/term to legally bind their assets. Same sex couples wont ever be recognized or classified as married. A legal process like a contract can accomplish much the same for same sex couples. Just go hire an attorney and draw up a contract, change your wills, etc.

8. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I know its hard to divide the two, legal arguments and social issues, but I feel like the court ruling was correct. You have to remember that this same court ruled in favor of gay marriage about a year ago even with 6 of the 7 judges being appointed by a republican. I think both times they did the right thing in ruling on the merits of the legal arguments presented to them.

They are blaming this all on the court but the simple fact is they chose a legal means that in all reallity wasn't going to be viable this time around. They were not going to get an amendment voted on by the people to be overturned. I think their best course of action would be to get an amendment that repeals prop 8 on the ballot for the next voting cycle and get it repealed. Obvioulsy there are enough people that feel strongly about it that it could be overturned, its not like prop 8 was approved by an overwhelming majority. All this marching and rioting etc. is just making the groups look worse if you ask me.

I'm not sure where I stand on the social issue, I'm somewhat torn in between because I believe in traditional marriage but I also have gay friends who I don't think should be denied rights. I guess my stance would depend on if I view marriage or the term marriage as a right per our consititution and I don't know if I do or not.

On another note, I would think it interesting that now the only way to get it overturned in the courts would be for the USSC to rule the amendment to CA's constitution unconstitutional by the US Constitution's standards. I think this would actually get a ruling on the social issue as opposed to the legal merits of a case saying they got the proposition on the ballot incorrectly.

I'm not sure if they would win with the court leaning slightly to the right at this point, but it would be interesting and I'm sure would really capture the attention of the country.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

The decision is wrong on the merits for the mere fact that they introduced a grandfather clause with the decision. Which is bullshyt, if its illegal, then the unions signed into law before the ruiling should be voided and deemed illegal, with no beneficial rights of a married couple. They are trying to have it both ways in California.

That is the more far reaching implications of the decision, which they are completely wrong about. I believe in civil unions, but marriage should be defined by the church. Simply put California Supreme court has opened itself up for more scrunity and litigation.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's about time the vote of the people actually carried some weight. I could care less what people do behind closed doors in their own personal life. However the people say that a marriage is between a man and a woman. I'm very surprised a California court got anything right.