Brunell starting Sunday

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by qball316, Jan 1, 2010.

1. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

per FantasyGuru.com

I completely agree with this move. Why put Drew in harms way against a team that is extremely hot and very physical on defense?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

disagree, Saints have been stagnant on offense of late and need to work out some problems for at least the first 2 quarters.

3. StadiumSalute

StadiumSalute It's Gameday!

Agree. Is the offense just going to be able to turn it on in the playoffs after they've been coasting for however long it's been now?

4. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

just saw it on espn....really think the offense has a problem I mean last week first quarter TD was the first in 5 games they couldve came out at least tried to score a touchdown on the first drive and then pull them out. Offensive has been struggling and keeping the Defense on the field and really just going 3 and out.Im glad Reggie,Pierre and Lance on the offensive side will get some needed rest also hope the main defensive players that are nicked up are sitting as well.

5. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

i just don't like going into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I agree with you, but this game is kind of a no-win situation for them. Obviously, the Saints peaked a few weeks back when they blew their wad against NE, and it sucks to be on a losing streak going into the playoffs. But, what would suck more, losing to Carolina in a game where the starters play very little and don't get hurt, and maybe actually rest a bit, or play balls to the wall, squeak out a win or maybe a close loss, and lose several key players in that effort, which was meaningless to begin with? Hard to say for sure, b/c if they gave good effort, got their mojo back, and won w/o losing anyone to injury - well, obviously that would be the ideal and would bode well for the playoffs. But it is more likely that if they played everyone in unlimited roles against a very physical team that is hot in a game that does nothing to improve our standing if we win, that some key player would get hurt. If we lose key players and the game, then that helps nothing - not our standing, or our psyche - and hurts our chances in the playoffs. It's a true no-win situation for the Saints.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I dunno, they completely dominated the Bucs in the first half, should have had 21 points on their first 3 possessions but Payton uncharacteristically had mercy on the opposing defense and kicked a FG on a 4th and 1.

Then with 2 minutes to go in the half, Meachem inexplicably comes back in just short of a first down at the 29 after catching it near the 32 and the Saints punt. Saints could have easily had 290 yards and 28 points in that first half.

They took they foot off the pedal and thought Tampa would just lay down in the 2nd half.

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I think Brees can pick up and go whenever he wants. I don't think resting him will matter at all. Brunell on the other hand could use some work, just in case but I think is better days are far behind him. He holds on to the ball way too long.

I have no problem with resting starters even if we do lose.

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Yeah it could really go either way but I think it's good. No reason to put Brees in harms way this weekend. He can take it as a bye week and more time to prepare, practice and get ready for the playoffs.

10. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

It's a little more than a bye week since we'll also have a week off. Brees will be off the playing field for 3 weeks.