Brian West

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Thibodaux Tiger, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Thibodaux Tiger

Thibodaux Tiger Professional Lurker

LSUsports.net reports that Brian West a former White Sox minor league pitcher who initially signed with Texas A&M joined the squad today. He is listed at 6-3, 244 and will play linebacker. Does anyone know anything about him? or what do you think?

2. profneo

profneo Founding Member

I know he went to school at West Monroe and graduated around 99. He played with Jason LeDoux, and both of them signed a NLI for Texas A&M. West was drafted in the first round of the baseball draft I think. That's about all I know about him.

3. Thibodaux Tiger

does he have the talent to be able to come in and help us at linebacker right away?

4. profneo

profneo Founding Member

Here's what lsusports.net had about him. I doubt he'll be able to contribute right away because he's been out of football for some time now. Its kinda interesting though because it seems like he was having a little bit of success in his baseball career after a tuff start. I guess he just got tired of it.

"MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL CAREER (1999-2003)
    Originally signed with Texas A&M to player football and baseball out of West Monroe High School in 1999 ... Elected to play professional baseball instead ... As a right-handed pitcher, was a sandwich pick in first round on the 1999 MLB Amateur Draft (35th overall) ... Spent five seasons as a member of the Chicago White Sox minor league baseball organization ... Began his minor league career with the Tucson White Sox (0-1, 13.50 ERA, 4.2 IP) and the Bristol White Sox (1-2, 10.50 ERA, 18.0 IP) of the Rookie League ... In 2000, played for the Burlington Bees of the Class-A Midwest League (8-9, 3.78 ERA 147.2 IP) and the Winston-Salem Warthogs of the Class-A Advanced Carolina League (0-1, 11.37 ERA, 6.1 IP) ... Spent the entire 2001 season in Winston-Salem (7-12, 3.46 ERA, 169.0 IP), where he was named the No. 11 prospect in the White Sox organization by Baseball America ... Named to the Midwest League All-Star Team and White Sox organization Player of the Month in April of 2001 (3-0, 1.00 ERA, 27.0 IP) ... In 2002, was with the Birmingham Barons of the Class-AA Southern League (9-11, 4.34 ERA, 149.1 IP) ... Ranked fourth in the league in wins, eighth in innings pitched and 10th in strikeouts (91) ... Tied for team lead in starts (26) ... Named the No. 15 prospect in the organization by Baseball America entering the 2003 season ...

HIGH SCHOOL
    A 1999 graduate of West Monroe High School ... Named Gatorade Player of the Year in Louisiana and a consensus All-American ... Recorded 95 tackles, 15 sacks and eight pass break-ups as a senior ... Was listed by Baseball America as having the second-best fastball among high school pitchers ... Ranked 15th on Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list.

PERSONAL
    Born Aug. 8, 1980, in West Monroe, La. "

5. max

max Founding Member

Official College Sports Network rated him a Super Prospect in 1999. OCSN has three ratings Top 150, Super Prospect, and Prospect. That tells me he had a lot of football talent.

6. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Founding Member

was a big deal coming out of high school...from an aggie website..

Aggie 99 recuiting class:
    Steal of the Class: LB Jason LeDoux (West Monroe, LA)
    Most potential: DL Brian West (West Monroe, LA)
    R.C. Upset special: DL Brian West (West Monroe, LA)

Brian West West Monroe, LA 6-3 240 4.7
    Brian is a consensus All-American and one of the top 5 prospects in Louisiana. He will join West Monroe High teammate Jason LeDoux at A&M next year. West was one of the most sought after prospects in the South this year after posting 95 tackles, 15 sacks, and 8 passes broken up. West is also one of the better baseball prospects around as Major League scouts are hot on his trail as a potential pitcher. He will definitely play baseball too at A&M, so coach Mark Johnson also won a big recruit. Many are worried he will go high in the upcoming draft and opt for pro baseball over football, but taking a chance on him was well worth the risk of losing him ala Chip Ambres last year. Brian chose A&M over LSU in a very tight race.
    All-American: NRA, SuperPrep, Prep Star, USA Today

etc etc

7. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

Brian West Graduated in 1999, He played DT in high School his number was 64. Signed with A&M out of high school along with LeDoux, Was Drafted at the end of the first round in what they call the sandwich picks which is at the end of the first round beginning of the second round (these are additional picks that teams get for losing of their coveted free agents). His best sport is baseball, but HE DOES have the talent to help the tigers in the linebacking core. Also this will almost definately bring Luke Sanders to Baton Rouge now and ppl say he is better than Bradie coming out of high school. He has just been hurt some.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Regardless of him being able to contribute right away it gives us some much needed depth on the defensive side of the ball.

9. Thibodaux Tiger

you know whats kind of weird, Jason Ledoux and Brian West graduated high school together but at LSU this year Jason will be a Senior and Brian will be a Freshman

10. Westyfan

Westyfan Freshman

I know Brian from the baseball side of things. He wasn't really healthy while he was in Birmingham this season. Whether or not his shoulder/elbow pains will affect his DB abilities remains to be seen....he's got a loyal heart to LSU and a passion to play football. His mental toughness is heads above any of the guys playing at LSU right now. If you've got any other questions about him I'd be happy to answer them, I'm a friend of his as well.