Brees Admits Recruiting LT to N.O.

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

LINK

In an interview with XX 1090 AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), one of the radio stations in his old stomping grounds of San Diego, Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently addressed the current contract impasse involving the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

And if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith ever smiles (then again, he never does), he surely wasn’t smiling after hearing what Brees had to say.

Following what seemed like 20 minutes of Brees talking about nothing that was all that compelling or humorous (with the exception of something about his wife once asking him if he had a sausage in his pocket), Brees addressed L.T.’s status.

As to whether Tomlinson should accept a reduction from the $6.725 million salary that he’s due to earn in 2009, Brees was unequivocal.

“I don’t think he should accept less money from the Chargers at this point,” Brees said, “because look at his track record . . . . Many people could say he had a decline this year, but I disagree with that. He was banged up for the majority of the year, and I think that’s just part of the game at times.

“I mean the guy hasn’t missed one start his entire NFL career, so if you’re going to sit here and tell me he’s, you know, not a durable guy, then you’re crazy. Like I said I think he’s still got a lot of motivation. I think he’s got a lot of fight and fire left in him. And you know he can still be a very productive player. So I don’t see any reason why he should be taking a pay cut at this point.”

So if Tomlinson refuses to take a pay cut, Brees would love to be reunited with his former San Diego teammate.

“I mean, come on, it’s an easy question,” Brees said. “I’d love to have him in New Orleans. I’d love to be his teammate again. I think L.T.’s got a lot of great years left in him so we’ll see what happens.”

Brees also admitted to having conversations with Tomlinson, and that the conversations have touched on L.T.’s status.

And Brees at first became very coy when asked point-blank about whether he has made it known to Tomlinson that Brees would like to have him in New Orleans.

“For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him,” Brees said.

As to the specific issue of whether Brees has shared that sentiment with Tomlinson, Brees was surprisingly candid.

“I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?” Brees said.

Then reminded of the tampering rules, Brees said it was “just two buddies talkin’ on the phone.”

Yeah, and soon it could be two buddies playin’ some football together, again.

2. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

They are actually talking about it on ESPN right now...I was surprise to hear Brees came out publically stating it even though its been known for a while....So Split Back Field LT and Bush..or I-Formation Heath at FB LT at RB and Bush in the Slot..nasty but seems to good to be true but it is intriguing how Sean Payton came out immediately and denied T.O but this LT rumors have been around for awhile now.Thing is Sean Payton doesn't even know how to Bush so will he be able to use LT and Bush correctly. Brees probably has the pull to get this deal done though

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

If LT could stay healthy, that offense would be sickening.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Payton will have to trust Brees to help develop that offense. LT and Brees are like best buddies and LT was less then thrilled when Brees was shown the door. LT can stay healthy if allowed to do so. As bad as the San Diego's O-line was the beginning of last season LT should have been sat down to let his toe heal. Turf toe is a monster killer yet he still had a productive season.

That kind of back field will open the outs all day. That, and one gets hurt and you still have a threat in the backfield.

I don't think LT would take a cut to stay in San Diego but I bet he would take a cut, a small cut to work with Brees again. LT healthy and you can count on two very productive seasons. It would be nice to see him lean towards NO.

5. pjnchamps

Agree

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Didn't like the idea of getting T.O., but I wouldn't mind seeing LT as a Saint for a couple of years as a stop gap on our way to a young full time halfback.

7. pjnchamps

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i would trade bush for LT in a heartbeat.

LT - hall of fame running back.
    Bush - glorified punt returner, slot and h back receiver.

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

That's really dumb. Trade a guy who could still hit his stride and have 5-10 years in the tank for someone who MAYBE has one or two good years... that would be a steal for the Chargers.

10. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Take Tomlinson for Bush (send him home to San Diego) & the Chargers 3rd round this year (#78) and their 2010 2nd round pick.