Brad Smalling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SmallingsGirl, Nov 8, 2005.

1. SmallingsGirl

SmallingsGirl Freshman

Alright, this goes back a few years, but anyone here remember a big Ol' Tiger by the name of Brad Smalling? He wasn't a bad player, but more or less disappeared his senior year, during the spring of '02 i believe. I was just wondering what y'alls honest opinion of him and his career at LSU and all that jazz. I found a few posts where some of y'all wondered where he went. He didn't completely drop football, after a few years, he got back into it. Traveled around the North, played for a few UIF teams, now he's thinking about quitting football. Has a few AFL teams looking at him, didn't do too shabby in the UIF, I was at most of his games. Anyway, lemme know what y'all have to say about him, I don't care if it's good or bad, I'm just curious. ^_^

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

are you his girlfriend or something?

I would say he was pretty good.... but if I remember correctly he was pretty highly touted coming out of HS, but didn't exactly live up to his hype.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I remember he was probably the biggest OL out of high school that I had ever heard of. My impression was that his skills weren't as developed as one would like, probably b/c he was used to outsizing his opponents.

Thanks for the update on him...his name actually came up in a conversation about linemen about 3 weeks ago. Glad to hear he's doing OK!

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I remember him being highly touted too out of high school but looked to me to be way too slow and not agile enough.

5. SmallingsGirl

SmallingsGirl Freshman

Yeah, he's not much of a fast runner, although he's gotten a little more agile, I think. I don't know, he did fairly decent in his last season (with the UIF) until he got hurt. Knee injury, 2 tears and a fracture in his right knee, ended his season. Yeah, I'm his girlfriend, and I was talking to his dad last night about his football career. I know why it went to **** and he quit school and all, and I had heard he was fairly high up there out of high school, but I wanted some opinions of his skills that weren't slightly biased becuase of his family, lol. But yeah, you guys are right, he is slower than hell.

6. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Brad must have been talking himself up saying he was awesome while at LSU and now she is doing some research...:hihi: :hihi:

7. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Brad was a good guy and contributed well when he could as a Tiger. He was a Tiger and no one can take that away from him.

8. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

To be honest, I didn't think he was that good at all. Couldn't run block at all and pass blocking wasn't that great either.

9. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

My honest opinion of Brad Smalling was that he had a lot of potential coming out of WM and I don't think ever quite lived up to his potential. His footwork against faster, speed pass rushers wasn't very good and he'd get beat repeatedly. And overall Brad seemed to reach a point where he didn't improve. After he was gone from the team my buddies actually saw him sitting in the Gold Club with his letter jacket on smoking and enjoying some cocktails. Good to hear that he's had success in the Indoor League.

10. SmallingsGirl

SmallingsGirl Freshman

Heh, no he didn't make himself out to be a great or fantastic football player when he was at LSU nor did he brag on himself about being awesome during high school or any other point. I just honestly wanted peoples opinions on him because, well, I felt like it. I'm curious about his past in football, he doesn't like to talk about it much, he didn't have the greatest time at LSU at times, so I hear stuff from his dad, which is as biased as it could possibly be, lol! But if you feel better thinkin that Brad's tryin to make himself seem super-awesome, the best OL in the world in his day, go for it! Wutever makes you happy! ^_^