Best Po-boy!!!

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Dec 14, 2006.

1. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

All this talk about burgers has led to me to start my very first discussion here on tiger forums. What's your favorite po' boy?

When I first moved here to the northshore, everyone talked about this place called Bear's. A little place in downtown Covington that was only open a few days a week for a few hours a day. They have recently opened up a much bigger restaurant in Mandeville. If me and the mrs. are wanting something to eat, and a po boy is what we are craving, we only go to one place now. Plus my son tears up the kid's mac n cheese like no other. Plus, they have a huge mural on the wall of Tiger Stadium.

2. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Well, if we are talking NO-style po-boys, Rocco's and Mandina's may be the only two places in BR that can stake a claim to it. There are plenty of places that claim a NO-style po-boy, but you order it and it comes on a hoagie. What a load of crap. I can get that at Subway.

There are several good po-boy shops in NO. Some of the best that will never open again include Teddy's Grill on Franklin Ave and Sid-Mars in Bucktown. I have heard that The Bakery (which was next door to Teddy's) has reopened somewhere in River Ridge (I have yet to find it). Mother's and Serio's have gotten too commercial for my taste, and IMO, the quality has suffered.

Would love to get some other opinions (hoagie crap excluded).

3. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

You ever try Shortstops? It's off of Airline Hwy near Clearview. Home of the king beef. Very good.

When I moved to Mandeville, I was on a search for a good po boy not on a hoagie (I know exactly what you mean by that). Originally from LaPlace, we have some good po boy shops there as well. Most notably is a place on Airline Hwy called Mabile's, a very good po boy place if you are passing through the river parishes and want a po boy.

4. tigerleg24

tigerleg24 Guest

Johnny's Po-boys on St Louis and Decatur St in the French Quarter. Order the shrimp po-boy one of the best in the city. They also do a French Fry po boy with Roast Beef Gravy that is nice and sloppy!!!!!!!!!! Dam now I'm hugry......

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Where is the Mandina's in BR?

I miss it, Sid-Mars, Liuzza's. So many places no longer there. :bncry:

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I havent been to the Mandina's in BR yet but I think it is located around O'Neal/Jones Creek area.

7. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Mandina's is in the old Chalet Brandt on Old Hammond across from La Madeleine off the corner of Old Hammond/Jefferson/Corporate right near the new Towne Center development.

The food at Mandina's is excellent. Its not nearly as charming as the old building on Canal, but the food is why you go in BR.

And I have been to Shortstop Po-Boy. Its good, but not great. My Metairie friends all swear by it, but they didn't have the opportunity to visit some of the places in Gentilly that we would frequent.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

There is a little gas station/grocery store here in Montegut tha has th eBEST po-boys I've ever had.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I like Subway's but don't eat a lot of Po Boys.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Subway doesn't make po-boys, they make submarine sandwiches. A po-boy is on good french bread. Crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside.

George's in Baton Rouge uses real New Orleans french bread and makes the best shrimp Po-boy in town.