best italian restaurant in baton rouge?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 15, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

are any of these the best italian restaurants in baton rouge?

DeAngelo's Pizzeria Company
    250 W Lee Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70808 · 225-757-3877

Description: BATON ROUGE. This local pizza chain, which now has franchises in Texas and Louisiana, was begun in 1991 and has built its business on top-notch ingredients, fresh-made dough (including whole-wheat), and attentive service. Pizzas come in three sizes and feature everything from Italian sausage and fresh spinach to Roma tomatoes and banana peppers. You'll also find paninis, pastas, and calzones, along with a variety of crisp, well-dressed salads. For dessert, look to tiramisu, chocolate-covered cannolis, and cheesecake.

Gino's Restaurant
    4542 Bennington Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70808 · 225-927-7156

User Rating: 9.6 / 10

Description: BATON ROUGE. Tradition runs strong at this local Italian restaurant, which has been a Baton Rouge mainstay for well over a generation. Family-owned, Gino's delivers the best in southern Italian cuisine, and its romantic ambience calls out to couples celebrating special events. Among the specialties are seafood cannelloni, eggplant parmigiana, veal Marsala, grilled chicken and fish, and filet alla Laurence (char-broiled steak topped with shrimp and mushrooms). A handful of pizzas is also available, and dessert includes tiramisu and spumone. Terrific wine list too.

Kiva's
    7622 Old Hammond Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 · 225-923-3222

Description: BATON ROUGE. Awesome Italian food earns this comfortable restaurant a favorable reputation, and with a substantial menu, it promises something good for folks of any taste. Specialties include osso bucco, grilled fish with lump crabmeat, and Miss Fannie's Bruccialuna (rolled veal stuffed with three cheeses). Other options include chicken cacciatore, veal parmigiana, grilled tilapia, a center-cut filet, and fried catfish. Special wine dinners are hosted throughout the year as well.

Maggio's Ristorante
    4710 O'Neal Ln, Baton Rouge, LA 70817 · 225-752-3354

Description: BATON ROUGE. Maggio's cultivates a prominent local presence, and at lunch and dinner, you'll find a faithful following of business folks dining and socializing. Start off with a classic caesar salad or a lush bowl of lobster bisque, and then consider spicy seafood diavolo, tortelloni gorgonzola with lump crabmeat, a NY strip, stuffed snapper limone, or veal Sorrentino. Affordable lunch specials are also a strong draw, and wine and beer are available.

Ruffino's
    18811 Highland Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 · 225-753-3458

Description: BATON ROUGE. Recognized by residents and local publications for its welcoming atmosphere and outstanding food, Ruffino's is as good for a first date as for a comfortable dinner out with friends. A substantial menu offers all sorts of treats, from garlic-roasted chicken to pan-fried veal medallions. Steaks and pork chops also make an appearance, along with pastas, pizzas, and grilled fish and shrimp. Kids have their own brief menu, and wine dinners are hosted by the restaurant occasionally. Tasting menus available too.

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I'll go with Ruffino's. It is also pretty pricey.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'll go with Gino's. I'm not the biggest Italian food fan, but Gino's always works for me.

4. LSUdude

LSUdude Founding Member

If you want great italian food you have to check out DiGiulio Brothers on Perkins road. Not a big or fancy place but the food is outstanding.
    I used to eat at Ruffinos all the time but have found that the quality of their food has gone down.....still good, but not worth the $$.

DiGiulio Bros menu

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I find that DiGiulio Brothers is not as good as it used to be, but it's still the best in BR. I also like Kiva's.

6. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

How long has Pinetta's been gone?

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I like Ruffino's and don't find it overly pricey. The crabmeat cheesecake appetizer is a must-order.

I've only been there a handful of times, as I don't live in Baton Rouge anymore, but the last time I went, back in March, Andrew Whitworth was seated at the table next to ours.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Gino's and Ruffino's are both good. Nino's on the corner of Bluebonnet and Perkins has the best lasagna. Best Italian restaurant ib Baton Rouge is Vincent's Italian Cuisine of New Orleans.

9. LSUdude

LSUdude Founding Member

Almost forgot about Vincent's.....have to agree with you. I havent eaten at the Vincents here in BR yet, but I have eaten at Vincent's in New Orleans and Mandeville.......really good italian food.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The original Pinetta's close about four years ago. The owners moved back to Croatia. However it has been reopened by new owners in the same location. Much of the original menu was retained and some new dishes added. The kitchen is very good, just not up to old-world style of the original.

And the ambiance isn't the same. They cleaned the place up for one thing. It looks like an American reataurant, not a European one. And the surly black waiters who never wrote anything down are gone. College girls waitrons now.

It's there and still a good lunch special. But it ain't the same.