Baseball Takes Series With 6-2 Victory Over Vols

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by StLee, May 5, 2002.

1. StLee

StLee Founding Member

LSUsports.net

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Matt Heath's three-run home run gave LSU a 6-2 lead in the fifth inning, and the Fighting Tigers would go on to defeat Tennessee by that same score to claim the rubber match of a three-game Southeastern Conference series Sunday at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

After losing the opener 2-1 on Saturday, the Tigers rallied for wins in the final two games to win their first SEC road series after dropping the opener since 1993 at Mississippi State. Prior to this series, LSU had lost 10 consecutive conference road series when dropping the first game.

LSU (33-16, 14-9) returns to action on Friday at 6:30 p.m. EDT in the opener of a three-game Southeastern Conference series against Florida in Gainesville.

Heath, who went 5-for-6 in Saturday's nightcap to tie an LSU record for hits in a game, took Tennessee's Dusty Johnson deep over the left field fence for his fifth home run of the season and broke open what had been a one-run game up until that point. Despite the fact the Tigers would muster 15 hits in the game, they would score no more in the contest.

The Tigers, who set a record for most hits in a road game with 24 in the second game Saturday, started out just as quickly in this game with a pair of runs, but could have had more.

Rocky Scelfo started the game with a base hit, and Wally Pontiff's base hit two batters later brought up Sean Barker, who was 6-for-9 in Saturday's twinbill. Barker came through, with a hit to center that fell between three Volunteer fielders to score Scelfo, and Pontiff would score on the next play on Eric Wiethorn's single. LSU would have a chance for more, but Heath struck out and Jason Columbus grounded out to end the inning.

Tennessee got a run back in the bottom of the first, as a walk to Brandon Hopkins and a double by Walter Sevilla put two runners in scoring position before Hopkins crossed on a ground ball by Ryan Moffett.

Chris Phillips' leadoff single and Jon Zeringue's double would help LSU gain a 3-1 lead in the second when Hill lifted a sacrifice fly, and the score would stay that way until the bottom of the fourth on Hal Bibee's home run.

LSU starter Bo Pettit walked six, but struck out seven over seven innings to even his season record at 6-6 and earn his first victory in three weeks. Despite walking no LSU batters, Johnson gave up 13 hits over 5 2/3 innings and fell to 2-1.

2. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

Geau Tigers! We have a real shot at the SEC west title this year if we continue doing this good!

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

It was almost a sweep! It's a shame that Mestepey pitched a great game but still lost 2-1.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, the game was televised, so I actually got to see that one. It was a real heartbreaker for the game to end that way. Mestepey did pitch a great game, but if you remember, he was charged with an error on a bad throw to first that should have been the third out in the eighth. That single led to both of their runs. Also Matt heath played very well in the last two games, its a shame he hit into that double play to end the opener. I felt like that game just slipped away. To compliment Mestepeys pitching, Pontiff made some incredible plays on defense. There were a few cross-body throws on the run to make plays at first.

I wish I was able to see the second game. I had to rely on the radio for that one. All in all, a good weekend. I think we have peaked at the right time, and should see some good, old-fashioned gorilla ball in the tourney.