Bama is grabbin the big 'uns in O-Line recruiting

Discussion in 'College Recruiting' started by Jester, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jester

Jester Founding Member

The deal with the Lindsay kid got me wondering, so I happened to be looking at the way that Bama has been recruiting Offensive Linemen the past few years since Saban has arrived as opposed to the guys LSU has been getting.

The one thing I happened to notice is that Bama really seems to be getting a bunch of the fat, slow, just get-in-the-way, kind of O-Linemen. They've got quite a few guys that are in the 6'1"-6'3"/310-350lbs range. LSU seems more interested in leaner, quicker O-Linemen. It makes me curious to see how Bama's running game and pass protection will fare in the next few years. Saban is a great coach, but I question his decision to use bigger, slower O-linemen in a league where speed and quickness are a necessity for the entire field.

Anyway, thats just my observation. Any thoughts?

Jester

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Joe Pendry and Les Miles each like guys with long arms and quick feet. Neither of them are taking your stereotypical Big 10 offensive guard. All of these guys are athletic.

If anything your assessment is backwards considering the only guy on the two teams that is not very explosive is Josh Williford, the big guy that Bama passed on.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I agree but according to Josh Bama and Auburn came calling in January.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Im sure he was contacted. Almost all in state recruits are that time of year. But after watching the Alabama coaches watch him last summer there is now may he was ever going to get an offer. Same could probably be said with Auburn, too. He just had absolutely terrible camps.

6. bhelmLSU

Not what his father told my dad. His dad said Saban tried to convince him to come to Bama and Josh said he was set with LSU. Take it FWIW.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Im going to call they made up stories tom make him look better. Guess we'll never know. ;)

Still, point remains that both teams recruit athletic guys.

8. bhelmLSU

We will never know but I am leaning to it being true based on the account of what my dad said about the character of his father and Sonny confirming that a Bama source said the story matched up.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

For the most part, LSU seems to have no problem in taking a kid and developing him...

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

yeah they are nice guys. i hope he does well. boy is tremendously huge.