AP Basketball Coach of Year

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Apr 4, 2009.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i'm not sure if this has been talked about yet, but looking at the candidates for COY honors, i was shocked that Trent Johnson didn't receive a single vote. they gave UNC one helluva battle in the second round, and that's not bad since they're potential national champions. just thought that was odd, that's all. :geaux::bball:

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

beat one ranked team with a senior-laden team

1 person likes this.
  3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yeah, the team DID fall short. however, in his defense, he lost randolph and didn't have a competent bag man. (no offense to CJ because the dude worked his azz off, but he just wasn't enough.) and i know you know what you're talking about (and greatly respect your opinion when it comes to hoops,) but when you're thrust into a situation like CTJ was (without his own players/system in place,) and win the SEC... i just think that deserves some recognition. i guess COY in SEC is pretty good recognition, but that's like saying you're a winner in the special olympics in the eyes of the media.

also, i think marcus thornton REALLY developed as a player under CTJ. i look forward to seeing MT in the NBA.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

In a way I'm glad he didn't win COY. It makes him less of a target for other schools new coaching searches. I think it's good for LSU if he flies under the radar for a while. I really want to see him stay right here for a long time.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

also a good point ^^

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

What surprises me a little bit more, though is that Bill Self wins it. I guess if your criteria is do something with a young team, ok, but Self has Kansas to recruit for him. He had good players already in the system (Sherron Collins back). And, all he did was win the Big 12 championship and make it a couple rounds in the tourney. Much like LSU. LSU wins the SECC, and loses to eventual champion UNC. Sure Trent had some seniors back. But, we act like Garrett Temple, Chris Johnson and Terry Martin are some great, elite players (no offense to those guys) that Trent didn't have to work with?

I don't get Bill Self winning the award. There are more deserving candidates, like Izzo or Pitino on big conf level.

7. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I hate to say it - but something about TJ says "just passin' through". I have nothing to go on for that other than "feel". I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

maybe so... BUT we do have joe aleva as AD now. i'm sure that has to be considered. LSU also has a rabid fan base no matter the sport, so i'm sure CTJ is eager to appease to the fans.

it does seem like he isn't too enthused about the LSU gig, but that seems to be his personality. he's a no-nonsense kinda guy. time will tell. LSU has a stupid amount of talent in the area, so maybe that also could factor in.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i see you've been to the barack obama school of public speaking.:hihi:

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yeah, unfortunately. i almost quoted him, but i didn't want to type his name. it... just... feels... wrong. :grin: