Anyone worried that we could lose Justin Vincent to the NFL in the April Draft?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Feb 7, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

In case you did not see, the NFL has announced that underclassmen, who were not eligible for the draft under the previous rules, have until March 1 to declare for the NFL draft. (according to the Times Picayune on Saturday)

Could we lose a player like Justin Vincent or a recruit like Doucet, Carter, or Herman Johnson?

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

IMO, there is only 1 "newly eligible" LSU player that could even consider opting for the NFL.......Andrew Whitworth.

I seriously doubt you will see many if any players opt for the NFL.

Mr. Clarett has a rude awakening coming both in the draft and on the field.

3. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

Yes it deffinetly a possibility but I for one don't see it happening. I don't see any player coming out of highschool to the NFL.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We COULD lose all of em, but don't start panicking. I really don't think you'll all of a sudden see a mass exodus of players to the NFL. If you read the article Toolame's coach says that Champ Bailey is the only player he ever saw that he thought could make that jump directly from HS. Now JV is 2 years out of HS but I still don't think he would do it at this stage, he needs tons more of experince. and remember, while we think the world of our recruits there are a bunch of guys already in college that had all the hype that they have had and looked to be just as good coming out of HS, but until you prove it n the field you are still and unknown commodity. And the best recveive in college was ranked like 64th by Insiders when he came out. (Mike Williams)

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I just don't see it happening anywhere except for the cases of "Clarett size ego" that will come across periodically.

there isn't a high school kid anywhere that could jump from the HS to the NFL.

That might explain why Scelfo is at Tulane with a statement like that. It took Champ Bailey a few yrs in the NFL even after what 2/3? at UGA before he started making an impact. He would have sucked hind-tit in the NFL had he gone straight out of high school.

6. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

7. tbass82

tbass82 Founding Member

The advantage we have is that Saban knows all the NFL stuff. He would definately tell any LSU player that is thinking about it that they aren't ready. I agree, Whit would probably be the only one that really could right now, and he's not going anywhere.

8. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

Justin Vincent isn't good enough to declare for the NFL draft, and he knows it. He still has a lot to learn.

I don't even what to think about JV leaving early. I think he's going to stay for his 4 years of eligibility, or I hope he does. ;)

9. edyel

edyel edyel

I find it hard to believe the NFL would show any interest in a just out of H.S. player,no matter what position they played. Men don't reach their peak physical strength until their early 30's. If you put an 18-19 year old on the football field with men with 10 years more physical development they won't last a season,let alone a 10 year career. A few may be able go from H.S. to pro basketball but the odds are against it with regards to pro football.

10. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

Something tells me there could be a sort of informal blacklisting of guys like Clarett. If it were me, I think I'd wait a year to see how the NFL teams take to the idea of drafting players less than 3 years out of college. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Clarett went completely undrafted.