anyone tried nutria yet?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 13, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is a first place winning recipe for cooked nutria (hey, if you can't exterminate them, then just eat 'em). anybody tried nutria yet? i haven't yet but will definitely when i can. saw chef paul's sister cooking up some on tv when one of the new orleans jazz festivals was going on years ago, and everbody trying it liked it. here's the award winning nutria recipe:

Ragodin au Choux Rouge
    (Nutria with caramelized red cabbage and honey mustard sauce)

2 hind saddle of nutria (available at Calvin's Bocage Supermarket)
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup chopped carrots
    Bouquet garni:
    - 1 branch french thyme,
    - 1/2 bunch of parsley,
    2 fresh bay leaves
    1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil,
    2 teaspoons flour
    4 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 1/2 cup honey
    1 cup red wine
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon crushed fresh rosemary
    2 cups hot water
    Season to taste

Caramelized choux rouge: 1 thinly sliced red cabbage, _ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, season to taste.

Saute red cabbage with oil, sugar and seasoning until sugar is caramilized (4 to 5 minutes).

Place oil, chopped vegetables and bouquet garni in a large saute pan. Rub each hind saddle with mustard, honey and rosemary. Place hind saddle into large saute pan with the vegetable and saute on medium high heat, until golden brown, sprinkle flour and stir will until flour disappears, deglaze with red wine, stir well then add hot water, simmer on low heat for 1 - hours. Remove hind saddle, strain juice into a sauce pot, bring to a low boil, skim the fat off of surface, add cream, reduce for 5 minutes and correct seasoning. Remove meat from bones and plate, top with sauce, garnish with caramelized red cabbage.

Recipe by:
    Chef Philippe Parola

2. iluvdatiger

iluvdatiger Founding Member

apparently I have eaten nutria before because my friend called me the other day from mississippi and told me a article came out in the Clarion-Ledger newspaper about Krystal burgers and the burgers are actually nutria and armadillo. I am kinda disgusted by this.
    Has anybody else ever had nutria or armadillo?
    I will try to find the article and post it so we can all see what the story is on that.
    I would also like to mention that I watched a guy eat 2 sackfulls of krystals on time.
    I could never eat more than 4 krystal burgers.
    Whats everyone else's records?

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I've eaten nutria sausage. Not too bad.

4. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

I ate a whole lot of "chicken" before I was informed that I had been eating nutria for about an hour without anyone telling me- some kind of a joke huh? It was really good though...:shrug: