Any Internet experts around?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

I'm trying to make an IRC script that uses the translation service at www.freetranslation.com.

Here's my problem..

I go to www.freetranslation.com and fill out the form there for the text to be translated, then press the FREE TRANSLATION button to have that text translated to another language....

At this point I need to know the stream of data sent from my PC to free.translation.com. That data stream would tell freetranslation.com what text to translate and into what language, in their expected format. In my IRC script, I would duplicate that format.

So, I need some bit of software that would intercept the data from my PC and report back to me what was sent.

I have a freeware packet sniffer, but, curiously, when I use it I see the html page being sent back to me by freetranslation.com with the translated text, but the program doesn't show the packets going out from my machine. I've checked all the program options within the packet sniffer app, and still can't figure out why it wouldn't report the packets emanating from my PC. I guess I'm just ignorant of how packet sniffers work.

2. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Are you flaming the Frogs again?

Good work!!!

3. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Yep! How'd you guess? Ha.

Actually, I chat with people from all over the world, but have to use a web-based translation service in a separate window.

I'm trying to simplify things, and integrate it all into Mirc... Just show translated text automatically whenever I'm in a foreign language channel.

By the way, I'm a West Jefferson grad, from Marrero. How about yourself?

4. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Not a native Westbanker, but I live in Algiers. I'm very familiar with WJHS because I spent a lot of time in Maplewood (the subdivision across the Westbank Expressway from West Jeff) looking for Maximus.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Rex, from the little I know about packet sniffers they only sniff the packets that are inbound to you and not the outbound packets. I would suggest that you send the packets to a friend with packet sniffing software who could forward you the data he would receive inbound from your outbound data. Either that or figure out a way to bounce your packets off of something that would send them back to you and allow your packet sniffer to record the inbound. An email message to an invalid email address would bounce the message back to you and let you sniff the inbound packets.

I also communicate with people worldwide but I have never used IRC. I use ICQ, AIM, MSN Messenger, ect. I have multiple servers with W2K Server as the OS. Hackers have been getting to one or another of them almost daily and putting some kind of mIRC shit on them. Apparently this is a problem that only affects W2K Server http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27007.html

My tech guy spends 2-3 hours every day finding and eliminating this crap. I use McAffee firewall software but it is inadaquate for the task. I have tried a couple of hardware firewalls. They work but they degrade the outbound packets performance so badly that I had to take them off of my network. I am now considering putting my network on a VPN. Any ideas? Other than telling me to scrap W2K Server I use it because I am able to do multiple logins with Terminal Services Client in order to get each server to do the work of 6 through multiple remote logins.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I reread your post and looked at the freetranslation site. I don't think that site is adequate for what you want to do. A friend of mine has a server in China. He had some problems that the hosting company couldn't fix so the Chinese host gave him access to the network and told him to see if he could fix it himself. When my friend got access to the server he saw that all the documantation was in Chinese. He was communicating with the hosting company through ICQ. The Chinese guy was surprised to find out that he didn't understand the Chinese language. Apparently the ICQ software was doing the translation from English to Chinese and back