Alright the mother of all food threads - Crawfish

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by TexasTigers, Apr 5, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

lets put them out there boys... Our specialty as Louisiana brothers, what we are known for.

The Crawfish Recipe. Lets make the rules simple boil standard Pot about a half a sack per burn.

Here is mine

Lemons
    Oranges (Seems odd yes, but it gives them a little touch of citrus)
    Garlic
    Onions
    1 stick of butter
    1 Artichoke per burn (Trust me its great if you like Artichoke)
    4 Bottles of premium hotsauce (Tabasco is preferred), also find Louisian Does nicely.
    Salt
    Crack Black Pepper Pepper
    New Potatoes
    Corn
    Andouille Sausage
    Mushrooms
    Cayanne to taste (Here is Texas you have to tone them down I discovered)
    Boil of your choosing (I use the industrial grade Zatarans, its comes in a huge gallon container I get it at Hi Nabor on Jones Creek) Unless you have your own boil you make if you do please share.

Toss All Ingredients in except Mushrooms and Corn

Bring to a Boil - Toss in doomed Crawfish - Before dropping them in realize they are saying to you "See you in hell !"

Bring back to a boil and Roll for 10 (For you yankees that means rolling boil)

Turn off burn, toss in Corn and Mushrooms (And Shrimp if you have it) to drop the temp quickly so the meat will shrink making them easier to pop. Also add some more Cayenne and spice so it can soak in.

Soak for 15 (Soak longer for more spice)

Throw everything on the table you will have Crawfish, Shrimp, Sausage, New Potatoes that are spicy as hell, Corn (Ditto), A big artichoke people can eat seathing with flavor, onions to chomp on, and some very spicy mushrooms.

This seems to be a pretty good method for me since I usually have to do about 6-8 burns in a sitting. Its easy its pretty solid and it taste great.

However I do have a method my old man taught me where you steam them by putting in a brick at the bottom of the pot and have a similar recipe but you dont put the bugs in the water, so only 1/3 full pot. Put the basket on top of the brick and let the boiling water steam them. I found this is a really nice way as well if you are doing them in smaller batches, and believe it or not makes them very spicy.

Thats mine.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not a boil recipe, but try this ( don't do measurements-use your judgement):

Fat Boy Crawfish Fettucine
    2 lbs peeled crawfish tails
    2 sticks butter
    chopped onions
    chopped bell pepper
    chopped celery
    minced garlic
    diced tasso
    Tony's seasoning
    small container half and half
    Bag of shredded cheese (cheddar, 4 cheese mix, mexican mix-it don't matter.
    Fettucine pasta

Saute onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic in melted butter.
    Add diced tasso and cook over medium high heat until all excess water is evaporated.
    Add crawfish tails and saute for about 5 minutes
    Season to taste
    Add half and half and cook on medium heat until heated
    Add shredded cheese and simmer until melted.
    Serve over (cooked) fettucine.
    That's good yeah.

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

i don't boil alot of crawfish but i do boil alot of shrimp and some crab......no two boils are ever the same since i'll take whatever is in the house salt, pepper, cayenne, emeril's essence or bayou blast, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregino, garlic cloves, onions, celery, carrots and whatever is available and bring to a boil and add in small to medium red potatoes and corn and let it boil awhile. then add in shrimp and leave them in for about 3-4 minutes and if crab until they are red and then a couple of minutes more just to be sure. i let the potatoes cook until they start to crack and the ones that don't get eaten, i let cool and then make potato salad. just take the poatoes and add in vidalia onion relish (add the whole jar) plus some mayo and horseradish, chopped hardboiled eggs (cook in the boil after all the other food is done), sweet pickles, onion, and hot sauce (any kind) plus additional seasoning if needed. if there are any shrimp left (rarely) then they go in too.

4. BengalBelle9119

BengalBelle9119 Founding Member

Crawfish Patties:

Left Over Boiled Crawfish, chopped
    Green Onion, chopped
    White Onion, chopped
    1 egg
    Bread crumbs

Mix together, shape into patties, bread and fry in a little grease in black iron skillet. Serve as appetizers or along with potatoes and corn left over from the crawfish boil!

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Left over Boiled Crawfish? What's that?

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have never used tasso but I make it basically the same for either crawfish or shrimp. I add about a cup of cheap white wine and also some spinach leaves and I use 2 tubes of Kraft Garlic Cheese and some parmesan cheese. I mostly serve it on angel hair pasta.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

:grin: :grin:
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

8. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

mine too....but if you ever do have leftover crawfish or shrimp....next morning it is in some eggs and hot sauce....

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Or they get fried and made into a poboy