a man is arrested for simply wearing a peace on earth T-shirt in a Mall

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerLifer3, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

According to Mall authorities the shirts were causing an uproar and a commotion. Out of an abundance of caution, the police asked the father & son to remove the shirts. Son complied, father thought he'd be an asshole. He was asked to leave and he refused. He was arrested. If the shirt had read "Kill Saddam" the same thing could have happened. It's not T-shirts that get people arrested. It's people who get people arrested.

3. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

I totally agree with Saban Fan. There is no way someone is going to be arrested for wearing a t-shirt. There had to be more to the story. The guy obviously wanted some attention, and he got it.

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I think people have the right to wear what they want, free speech, etc.

But the fact is that an owner of private property has the right to ask you to leave his property if he wants to. If you refuse, you are trespassing and subject to arrest, just as if it were your own home.

The mall owners would also be justified if the situation were reversed - if the men were wering pro-war shirts and it was causing a disturbance then the owners would have the right to ask them to leave as well.

Some Americans believe that we have the "right" to do anything we want, whenever we want, wherever we want, and that's just not the case. (We STILL have many more rights that any other country in the world, but some people are never satisfied)

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I saw this on The O'Reilly Factor. I am interested in the full story behind this. If this guy was causing no uproar then he should be allowed to wear whatever.

6. SabanFan

Yeah. Let's get John Kerry in there. When the next wave of terrorists hits our shores he can throw his medals at them. Along those lines, I'll withdraw my support for war vs Iraq if Saddam will allow Ted Kennedy to chauffer him into exile.

7. JD

JD Founding Member

That's not exactly accurate when the property owner invites the public in to engage in commercial activities

8. Ellis Hugh

I agree. But the commercial activity was over. The report I heard was that they were causing a disturbance in the food court (if this is wrong, then I will change my opinion).

Every store owner "invites the public in to engage in commercial activities", but that doesn't mean that customers can then cause disturbances or do whatever they want. They can't run around screaming like a loon, etc. A restaurant invites the public in to engage in commercial activities also, but you can't just walk into the kitchen and make whatever you want. ( I know - poor analogy, but I just woke up;) )

I'm not on the mall's side. Like Tiger Saint said, it was silly to throw them out. But legally the owners have a right to ask them to leave.

9. SabanFan

My understanding is that a shop owner was concerned because of a prior disturbance some months earlier. He asked Security if they could take action to forestall another commotion. When Security asked them to remove the shirts the father refused. The police were called and they weren't there to play warm and fuzzy. The dad could have removed his shirt or he could leave the mall. He "showed his ass" and he was arrested. This was a shopping mall. Not the common area of Cal-Berkeley. If they wanted to make a statement, they could do it in a place that would not disrupt, or potentially disrupt those who were trying to earn their living. The whole episode may have been an overreaction but the fact is that had the father acted like a mature responsible human being nothing would have happened.

10. Ellis Hugh

This was posted on a Saints board. Instead of downloading/reposting I will just post this link to that thread. It shows the actual complaint filed.

actual filed complaint

Stopping other shoppers?????