2 Bad Calls and 2 No Calls

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JP4LSU, Sep 17, 2006.

1. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I just rewatched the game and there were a couple of things I had forgotten about concerning the officiating.

1) Hester fumble that was later decided it was incomplete on the 4th down play in 1st qtr. He had 2 steps with the ball in control before it was knocked out. There was not enough indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field. It was really obvious to me as it was to the announcing crew

2)Brandon Lafell got mugged in the endzone, something that was quite obvious to me and the announcing crew. These 2 calls would've kept drives going deep into AU's territory.

-Also as a side note there was a no call for the viscious helmet to the face mask on Hester when another player was pulling him out of bounds. The announcers once again thought they got away with one.

3)R. Smith, WR for AU, caught a pass took 2 steps and got popped by LaRon and was put on his butt. The ball actually came loose before his butt hit the ground. The announcers didn't catch that but I did after seeing it again

4) The last PI call that was picked up. This was wierd the way it went down. Early was getting mugged before the ball was tipped, which is pass interference I thought. Now after the ball is tipped its everybody for himself.

Now it seemed somebody reviewed this play because there was a brief conference btwn 2 officials, the call was announced, then 30 seconds later a conference occured and reversed it. This was a total botch job. The guy that through the flag obviously thought it was pass interference, but who determined when the ball was tipped. Just because the ball is tipped doesn't negate the penalty it depends on when it was tipped in reference to the PI penalty.

Crap like this needs to be reviewed by the officials when it involves the timing of events. At speed one official is not going to catch whether the ball was tipped before or after the PI penalty. I'm not saying that the coaches should be able to challenge but the refs should consult replay to make sure they get it right.

Basically 4 situations that hurt LSU tremendously but Auburn had no calls that were controversial.

However, LSU could've and should've won this game even with the 4 ridiculous items mentioned above. JR on multiple occasions didn't set his feet when throwing longer balls and better throws could've been TD's in one maybe 2 situations. The clock management was terrrible at the end and the OL was bad in the running game. But the officiating probably hurt us more than LSU hurt themselves.

2. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

I appreciate you going back and looking at the tape. I had it in my mind that on the last PI call or no call as it were, that the refs had reviewed the play upstairs and then pulled the flag. Guess I got that sequence wrong. Sorry.

At any rate, good, quick analysis. Thanks. I am thinking that you missed one viscious helmet-to-helmet hit as the LSU player was falling out-of-bounds, but I can't remember which one that was. Of course, I don't want to see the tape on it again. :angryfire Not that I even have it. ;)

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

According to Onepete LSU won the game, and I have no plans on revisiting the issue to clear up whether he was correct or not.

4. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I did mention the helmet to face mask hit on Hester.

What I'm wondering is if the refs upstairs reviewed the last PI call before they picked up the flag? Is this allowed? Can the refs upstairs review a penalty and reverse the call? If in fact the booth looked at it, why couldn't they obviously see that the PI occured before the tip?

There is no way one ref say the PI and the tip and could determine which occured first at live speed.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It was not a review, nor can it be reviewed. The ref never went to the sidelines and put the headphones on to talk with the replay booth.

The officials huddled on the field, and apparently, one said the ball was tipped before the foul occurred. It's not uncommon to see officials huddle to discuss a flag. Flags are picked up all the time. But they blew this call, plain and simple.

6. KajunKenny

KajunKenny Founding Member

Ya that was a catch and forced fumble by Hester, shoulda been first down Tigers.

Also how can LSU intercept the ball and then contact be made with the AU wideout? How can that be called one way for AU and then called in AU's favor in the forth quarter.

Like I said in another post. Tough to win when it's 11 vs 16 on the feild. If LSU woulda won and they should of won, it shoulda been marked down as 2 wins for LSU in one game. Cause then they woulda beat the Tigers of AU and the Zebra's.

FU Zebra's

7. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I don't remember who the DB was on that PI call against LSU. Was Jackson or Daniels? If he would've turned his head around it would've been a no call. If you never turn your head, they will flag you everytime. If you turn your head it looks like you're going for the ball and it won't be called unless you grab their arm or something.

Now whether the contact occured after the ball was INT, I think contact was made prior to the catch. I'll go back and watch it, but I don't believe I have a problem with that call. Once again if the DB just turns his head or body around it is a no call.

8. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

I'm trying to sort out this play just like you guys are but if I may present a question...was the PI overruled because the ball was tipped away from the play? Is it similar to a play where a ball is thrown completely over a receiver and it doesn't matter what kind of contact goes on between the DB and the receiver because the ball is uncatchable?

There's PI on Gilbert, no question about that. But if the tip made the pass uncatchable and that's why the PI was overruled, isn't that the right call? Flame me if you want, I don't care, I'm just trying to make sense of this just like you guys are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have watched the replay several times, and I still see contact before the ball was tipped, which I think is pass intererference. I do understand that the ball was tipped, but if it wasn't then pass interference would been called because of the contact.

10. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

You kind of missed my point. Clearly it's PI on Gilbert, the stills I posted show that. But was it overruled because the ball was uncatchable (it was tipped away from the play) just like it would be if the ball was thrown over the receiver?