'09s Breakout Player(s)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jul 13, 2009.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Alright, so last year our projections were not very good.

http://www.tigerforums.com/tigers-den/74444-who-lsus-breakout-player-2008-a.html

Richard Murphy, Terrance Toliver, Chad Jones, and RJF were all popular picks. None of these guys had breakout years last season. I'm not sure that anybody really had a breakout year last season - except Rahim Alem, who I don't think anybody picked.

For the record, here's what I said: "Barksdale, Coleman, Riley, Patrick Peterson, and Toliver in particular, I think will impress."

In '09, I think Patrick Peterson, Toliver & Chad Jones will actually break out and get some national attention. I expect Jordan Jefferson to be good, but not get much national attention. Ron Brooks will be the new starter at Safety (most likely), and while I think he'll be good, don't expect him to be All-SEC material. Drake Nevis and/or Al Woods may finally break through, and my bet would be on Nevis.

It will come as no surprise, but out of the true freshmen I expect Russell Shepard Randle & to garner some attention across the league.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Offense: Terrance Toliver
    Defense: Drake Nevis

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nevis. Barksdale.

1 person likes this.
  4. clair

clair Rockets

Perry Riley
    Chris Hawkins
    T. Toliver

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Rahim Alem, Chad Jones and Patrick Peterson on defense.

Charles Scott, Russell Shepard, Joseph Barksdale on offense.

Not sure about Scott because he was great last year and may not fit the definition of "breakout" because of that.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

C. Jones
    R. Alem
    P. Riley

Geaux Defense

I do think T. Toliver will shine, though

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Sounds like one badass mofo! :D

I think Randle will draw a lot of attention, thus making life easier on Mr. Tolliver. This, coupled with the emergence of Jefferson, will allow Terrance to break out for a monster campaign this fall. I see him making a lot of DB's look stupid trying to guard against his height.

I have to go with Peterson on defense. In one of the most ill-run and sloppy defensive schemes/units on the planet last year, dude still managed to show all-conference ability. Now that things look to be in much better order on that side, you have to figure that he'll be taking no prisoners.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Tough for Rahim Alem or Charles Scott to have breakout seasons - one was a 1,000 yard rusher & the other was an All-SEC selection.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I like the Riley pick - think he could work himself into a third rounder with a big year in Chavis' system.

But Hawkins? Want to provide some more info on why you picked him? I'm thinking he may end up splitting time - if not losing his starting position (but don't think he's as bad as some people thought last year).

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Offense: Barksdale (all SEC), Randle (all SEC freshmen team)

Defense: Nevis (all SEC), Riley (all SEC), Peterson (all SEC, 2nd team All-American).